Here’s the Perfect Excuse to Celebrate National Cream-Filled Doughnut Day
Yes, it is National Cream Filled Donut Day today. Now it may seem like a strange holiday to celebrate, but we see it as an opportunity to indulge in some delicious goodies.
You might have had the standard vanilla and chocolate filled donuts, so we think it’s time to celebrate this day with a complete new taste. We’re talking about freshly baked Banana-filled donuts topped with caramel.
So, get your kitchen gear on and get started!
Banana Caramel Doughnut Recipe
What you’ll need
For the Banana Cream:
2 cups Milk
1/2tbsp Banana Extract
6 egg yolks / 2 cups coconut milk (for vegetarian base)
1/3 cup Flour
A piping bag
For the Donuts:
4 Cups Flour
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Active dry yeast
2 tbsp Vanilla extracts
Pinch of Salt
2 cups of coconut milk / 4 big eggs
50g Unsalted Butter
1 cup Warm Milk
Zest of orange
- Mix the warm milk with the yeast and add 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Combine flour, sugar, zest of orange and salt in a large bowl and whisk it well.
- Pour the warm milk and add the eggs/ coconut milk and vanilla extract, all at once to create the dough.
- Carefully, add the butter into the dough and knead the dough for about 15 minutes.
- Now, cover the dough neatly with a sheet of plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for at least 2 hours.
- After the dough has risen, roll it out to the desired thickness and using a cookie cutter, cut small round pieces of the dough.
- Now, place the rounds on parchment paper (one square per doughnut) and coat it with vegetable oil and leave it to rise again for about an hour.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat and prepare a plate by placing paper towel for placing the donuts. Place the prepared donut dough pieces into the oil.
- Fry until golden on both sides for about 3 to 5 minutes.
How to make the banana cream:
- In a small pan, mix milk, vanilla, and banana extract and boil it over medium heat. Let it sit for 10 minutes after heating is done.
- Combine together egg yolks/ coconut milk, sugar and flour and whisk until thick and pale.
- Carefully, add the hot milk mixture mixture and whisk constantly until well mixed
- Cook this mixture for about 5 minutes over medium heat. After the heating, let it sit to cool and place it in the refrigerator.
Assembling and glazing:
- Assemble the donuts and the cream by cutting a hole into a side of the donut, and fill it with the banana cream using a piping bag.
- Prepare a glaze by mixing icing sugar and milk.
- Dip the assembled donuts into the glaze. Top it with caramel in any desired design.
- And there, your sugary, creamy and homemade donuts are ready!